Walk-ins welcome! – Same day CDL / DOT physical exams at our Clifton or Kearny NJ office!
The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires all applicants to complete a comprehensive physical exam in order to qualify for and obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). This exam ensures that you are healthy and physically fit enough to operate a commercial vehicle without risk of injury to yourself or others.
The examiner will review your health history and ask you to list the medications you take on a regular basis. During your CDL / DOT physical at Body Wellness in Clifton or Kearny NJ, the examiner will check your physical health as well as performing a neurological exam and hernia check.
What we will check during your CDL / DOT physical examination:
- Blood pressure
- Vision and eyes
- Throat, mouth, and ears
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a CDL or DOT Physical?
– A CDL or DOT Physical is a test to assess general health as well as mental and emotional fitness for the demands of professional driving.
How often do I need a CDL or DOT Physical?
– A commercial driver, which includes CDL and non-CDL drivers alike, must be medically certified at least once every 24 months.
What are the requirements to pass a CDL or DOT physical?
– The requirement to pass includes adequate vision, color distinction, blood pressure, hearing, cardiovascular health, medication review and more.
What is the difference between CDL or DOT Physicals?
– The two are the same process from a physical perspective as the purposes are similar. The difference being that a Commercial Drivers License is a wide range of vehicles while DOT is specific to larger commercial vehicles.
What is the blood pressure requirement to pass a CDL or DOT physical?
– The maximum blood pressure to pass a CDL or DOT physical is 140 systolic and 90 diastolic. If your numbers are above 140 / 90, you may still qualify for temporary certification, so don’t let your blood pressure numbers discourage you from scheduling your CDL or DOT physical at our Clifton or Kearny NJ office.
Will the use of contact lenses or glasses keep me from passing my CDL or DOT physical?
– To pass the CDL or DOT physical examination, you must have at least 20/40 vision with both eyes together, the left eye alone, and the right eye alone with or without corrective lenses, so contact lenses or glasses are not an automatic disqualifier. Monovision and certain types of lenses are a disqualification, but there are certain exemptions that may still allow you to get your medical card.